The Tewkesbury Liberal Democrats are committed to championing the environment and in tackling the rising levels of Greenhouse Gases in the atmosphere.
At the Council meeting on 30th July 2019, Councillors from all parties called on Tewkesbury Borough Council’s Conservative-administration to commit to making our area Carbon Neutral by 2030, but the Conservatives wouldn’t event allow a debate on the issue, despite the risks caused by pollution to our communities in the years to come.
If you agree with me that stifling debate on such a serious topic demands better, please sign the petition below.
We call on Tewkesbury Borough Council to:
- declare a real “Climate Emergency”.
- commit to doing all in its power to make Tewkesbury Borough Council carbon neutral by 2030, taking into account both production and consumption emissions.
- set up a Working Group consisting of seven Members of the Council to prepare a long-term plan to achieve this, together with any initial budgetary requirements, to be reported back to the Executive Committee as soon as possible.
- call upon central government to provide additional powers and resources to support local and national action towards the 2030 target.
- commit to working with partners in Gloucestershire to achieve Countywide carbon neutrality aims.